Wilson N. Jones Regional Medical Center (WNJ) is now providing the newest, most advanced generation of digital mammography - and digital makes a difference. Digital is significantly better at detecting cancer than conventional film mammography, especially in women under 50 and women of any age with dense breasts. This state-of-the-art screening option also offers less exposure to radiation and quicker results. Sharper, more accurate scans, quicker results, and the best equipment mean that our renowned staff of fellowship trained radiologists will have the highest quality information available to assist with your preventative health care.
Mammograms are the best screening tool available to detect breast cancer at its earliest, most treatable stages.
• Women ages 40 to 44 should have the choice to start annual breast cancer screening with mammograms (x-rays of the breast) if they wish to do so.
• Women age 45 to 54 should get mammograms every year.
• Women 55 and older should switch to mammograms every 2 years, or can continue yearly screening.
• Screening should continue as long as a woman is in good health and is expected to live 10 more years or longer.
• All women should be familiar with the known benefits, limitations, and potential harms linked to breast cancer screening. They also should know how their breasts normally look and feel and report any breast changes to a health care provider right away.
In conjunction with digital mammography, we are now offering the latest advancements in computer-guided, stereotactic biopsy. This simple, outpatient procedure is quick, less invasive but just as accurate as surgical biopsy, and leaves little or no scarring. Recovery time is brief, getting you back to your normal routine quickly. We hope you wont need it, but when you do its nice to know the most advanced options are right here close to home.
Remember, you have a choice in where and how you receive your mammogram and other womens health services. Request the best the region has to offer. Schedule your next mammogram at WNJ.
To schedule your appointment today, call 903-870-3604.